Gluten Free and Your Brain
When I suggest to someone that removing gluten for their diet will enhance their health and brain power… I hear “But gluten is in everything.” Mmmm.. true if you are eating the Standard American Diet SAD of carbs and sugar.
There are many foods without gluten and you will find you and your family are healthier, more vibrant and brain power improves. We have been Gluten free for twenty five years and back then there were no gluten free cook books or packaged gluten free cookies. I prepared, baked and cooked everything. Take the thirty day challenge and remove gluten, sugar and dairy ( except organic yogurt if you can consume lactose). See how you feel and leave a comment or note about your experience.
So , what is gluten and which foods have gluten?
Gluten is protein found in wheat, barley, rye and oats. Don’t be fooled by the gluten free oats ( oats still may have a small amount of gluten in them from growing/ processing .) Other foods include crackers, breads, tortillas, cookies, pastries, and pastas. Less obvious foods like beer, salad dressings, commercial broths, soy sauces, and seasoned rice and box mixes. Persons with Celiac disease need to be gluten free. (Celiac has an underlying cause and it is easy.
I have helped many people release the celiac for good!) Call me 505-797-0540)
Which foods are gluten free?
Fruits, vegetables, and meats (careful, fried meats usually have gluten!), legumes, and dairy products are safe. Grains like rice, quinoa, millet, and teff are also gluten-free. Teff is an awesome ancient grain with a nutty like taste and makes great pancakes. Corn is gluten free but most is GMO. Look for organic blue corn which has more protein than yellow corn.
How Wheat affects the brain:
- Wheat’s effects can show up as difficulty concentrating or behavioral outbursts in a child, anxiety, rage, mania, and depression.
- It can lead to treating the effects of a bran muffin or chocolate chip cookie with psychoactive drugs, psychotherapy, counseling, even institutionalization.
- Wheat can disrupt families, relationships, marriages, careers. Dr. William Davis
- According to Dr. Perlmutter , the author of Brain Maker, says wheat causes an opiate like affect in the brain and is addictive.
- Dr. Perlmutter stated, “All types of grains contribute to insulin and leptin resistance, which are the primary underlying causes for most, if not all, chronic diseases—from diabetes to cancer. “
Everyone’s metabolism varies but generally I have seen health, brain power, hormone balance, joint pain and allergies improve when an individual or whole family goes gluten free. Take the 30 day challenge and remove gluten, sugar and dairy ( except for organic greek yogurt or kefir) and see how you feel. Keep a food diary during this time and make motes about your changes.
Barb took the 30 day challenge and felt lighter, clearer and sleep improved. Christy took the 30 day challenge and an auto immune condition improved. Sylvia lost twelve pounds and her whole life changed.
Here are some cookbooks to get you started: